Sorry, this trip is on hiatus for 2017, and a departure has not yet been scheduled for 2018. If you would like to be alerted when it returns, please join our catalog mailing list.
8 Days • 7 Nights • 19 Meals
Depart/Return: Panama City, Panama
Price Per Person: Double: TBD; Single: TBD
Pre/Post-Tour Hotel: TBD
(*This land-only tour includes Meet & Greet service at the airport in Panama; for a seamless flight experience, we are also glad to assist you with your round-trip airline arrangements.)
The Panama Canal has been called a “Monument of the Millennium” and one of the “Seven Wonders of the Modern World” and now it’s getting BIGGER! On this new version of our classic tour, you’ll get right up close to the historic Panama Canal Expansion—a hugely ambitious undertaking intended to double the capacity of the Canal by 2016! In addition to cruising the Canal and visiting its famous locks, you’ll explore Panama’s beautiful rainforest and coastal settings by road, rail and sail. Guided by one of Latin America's most renowned naturalists, Hernán Araúz, you'll learn about the region’s Spanish colonial past through its classic forts, churches and cobblestone streets, and discover its exceptional flora and wildlife. You’ll meet skilled crafters of fine cigars, visit a working sugar cane farm, and enjoy a banquet and cultural presentation by Emberá Indians.
It's a perfect time to visit one of Forbes' Top Destinations for 2016 and enjoy a fun, warm-weather escape you’ll never forget!
Itinerary & Info Sheet
Click Bottom Right to View Full Sized
Highlights from the Tour
- See the historic Panama Canal Expansion at work at the new Gatún Observation Center
- Sail from Gamboa on a once-in-a-lifetime voyage beneath the Bridge of the Americas, past the Miraflores Locks, Pedro Miguel Locks, to the Bay of Panama
- Expedition led by renowned naturalist guide and birding specialist Hernán Araúz
- Panama City Tour, welcome dinner overlooking Miraflores Locks, and visit to Spanish colonial sites of Casco Viejo (Old Quarter)
- Visit to Old Panama, and the fortifications at Portobelo-San Lorenzo, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Scenic train ride along historical gold-rush route, passing canal locks and through the Gallard Cut
- Embera Indians warmly welcome you with a ride in dugout canoes, presentation of native dances, lunch served beneath a thatched palapa shelter
- Visit the new Frank Gehry-designed Biodiversity Museum
- Gatún Lake Jungle Boat excursion
- Unpack once for relaxing 7 nights overlooking the Canal and Bridge of the Americas
- Meet local cigar, sugar cane and cultural experts
high 90°/low 77° (April)
Time Zone: Eastern
Arrival Time: Schedule your flight into Panama City to arrive by 5:00 PM on Day 1.
Departure Time: Schedule your return flight home from Panama City anytime after breakfast on Day 7.
Airport Info: Private transportation will be provided from Tocumen International Airport to the Country Inn & Suites Hotel in Panama City.
Vehicle Parking: N/A
Walking Distance: Moderate walking is required to fully enjoy this tour. At times there will be walking on dirt paths and up slight hills to reach attractions.
Currency: U.S. dollar is widely accepted.
Hotel Amenities Include: Hair dryer, iron, ironing board, coffee maker, exercise room, swimming pool and Jacuzzi.
Travel Protection Available?: Yes, see About Travel Protection.
Terms & Conditions: Tour reservations are subject to the terms and conditions outlined by Country Travel DISCOVERIES on our website at Terms & Conditions.
Groups: Have a group? We can make your group's vacation cost-effective and easy, with discounts for groups as small as five and other benefits. Learn more at Country Travel DISCOVERIES for Groups.
Additional Information: Opening hotel is walking distance to shopping, outdoor cafes, restaurants, and attractions.
Further information is mailed upon receipt of your reservation. A total of three mailings are sent to assist you in preparing for your tour...Get Ready, Get Set and Go! Our “Get Ready” packet is sent confirming your reservation. Our “Get Set” packet provides further information approximately 90 days prior to departure with important details regarding making your travel arrangements. Finally, our “Go” packet arrives 2-3 weeks before departure containing your final documents.
Updates: Updates to this document are available from our Discovery Reservations Team, and will be posted online at www.CountryTravelDiscoveries.com/PPC
- My Discoveries Blog: Panama Canal by Nan Delwiche
- Recommended: The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914